Motorcycle racing, riding skills and technique, moto kids & parenting

Sheboygan, Eh!

With 2014 in full swing I spent some time pondering recent years and one that stood out was 2008, which in every way was an epic year.  With racing a full AMA season,  coaching nearly full time with the California Superbike School, travelling across the United States, sailing in the Caribbean, getting engaged, married and pregnant, I was surprised to find that some of my fondest memories not only came from the perfect wedding and the amazing sailing adventure, but from the rainiest, stormiest, most chaotic, hectic and tiring road trip and race weekend of the entire race season.


It is often the rides, road trips, adventures, and vacations teeming with disaster, peril, stress, bad weather and plan changes that leave the fondest memories and the most amazing stories.


There is something to be learned from this, and that is to try and appreciate the moments in the moment, regardless of how crappy or frustrating they may seem at the time.


It all started in Salt Lake City Utah, on Sunday June 1st around 8:00 pm.  My teammate, Josh Galster and I had just finished racing at Miller Motorsports Park and were exhausted.  We packed up the Ford Cargo van and trailer with our race gear and drove to Walmart along with our friend and cameraman from Slednecks, Jason Moriarty.  We were preparing for a 25-plus hour drive across the country  which would begin early the next morning and we needed some supplies.




With three passengers set to travel in a two passenger cargo van we needed a centre “seat”,  and with burned out tail lights on the trailer we needed a quick fix.  We also needed snacks.  A cheap fold up office chair made an extremely uncomfortable middle seat, beef jerkey, pretzels, sunflower seeds, and granola bars made good snacks. The improvised tail lights came from some Velcro, push battery lights and red vinyl tape. We just had to remember to turn push them on before it got dark.


At 6 a.m. we hit the road, Josh driving, me in the middle “seat” and Jason with camera ready in the passenger seat.  Our destination, Elkhart Lake Wisconsin, a little town called Sheboygan for an AMA race weekend at Road America.




Twenty-Five hours of driving ensued with all three of us taking turns driving and crashing out in the back of the van on the air mattress.  There was a lot of laughter.


“Hey Josh, Josh! Is that a squirrel on your head?” laughed Jason.  “Oh sorry dude, that’s just your hair!”


The drive was riddled with torrential downpours, tornado and wind warnings, and thunder and lightning demonstrations that were absolutely incredible.  The radio blared:  “Beep Beep Beep. Warning Warning Warning.  This is an extreme weather warning for the following areas……” It was insane.


We pulled into Sheboygan, Wisconsin around noon on Tuesday morning after a very long drive, tired but giddy.  To say that it was raining was an understatement as the downpour continued and easily kicked butt on the hardest rains I have ever seen in Vancouver, BC.  We checked into our hotel room and tried to get some rest.




Wednesday morning we were up early and off to the track. On the way, while telling us a story, texting to his buddies, and one handed driving in the rain, Josh entered a steeply curved on-ramp at about 90mph and was practically drifting and sliding the van AND trailer around the corner while continuing to jabber on happily.


“Uhhh, Josh, maybe you should slow down.” said Jason and I at exactly the same time.


“Huh, why?” replied Josh, “Everything is A-OK!  What?  What?”


At the track we waited in line with dozens of other race transport trailers, our little van looking miniature against the factory semi trucks.  None of the top riders were there, just their crew.  Yet there were Josh and I, with Jason filming, loading and unloading the trailer, setting up our meager pits in the rain and the mud after hours of driving and little sleep.  We had no crew of our own, little support, and to top it all off, neither of us had ever ridden the track before.




Jason agreed to come on the road with because he was filming the documentary Minor Details on Josh and I as privateer racers against factory riders in the AMA.  He wanted to get the real story on what we  go through, in between races,  getting to the events, as well as the “at the track” racing action.


“You guys  must really love to ride to go through all this crap for one race.” He said when we were done unloading.


That night, before climbing into bed I wandered around the hotel room covering the blinking lights of the TV, microwave and thermostat with t-shirts and pieces of clothing, and even rolling up a towel against the door to cover the light seeping in from the hallway.


“What are you doing Misti?” asked Josh.


“Covering the lights so I can sleep, they are too bright.” I replied.


“You are crazy, just close your eyes!”


“I can still SEE the lights when I close my eyes.  I think I must have thin eyelids.”


“THIN LIDS?” roared Josh laughing.


Ignoring him I crawled into bed, turned off the light, closed my eyes and tried to sleep.  Just then there was a bright flash of light and a loud clap of thunder.


“Did you see that Josh?” I yelled sitting upright.


“NO, I had my eyes closed.”


“Well so did I!  But I could still see the lightning.  Maybe I do have thin eyelids! Try it, close your eyes and wait for the lightning and then tell me if you can see the light.”


This went on for a while and the both of us were giggling like little kids having a sleepover before we finally fell asleep.


In the morning I flung open the curtains immediately to check the weather.  The torrential rain had been replaced with extremely thick fog and drizzle.  “Ahhhh Sheboygan!” I mumbled with a shrug of the shoulders.


At 9am, when our first practice session was supposed to start, you couldn’t even see the track for the fog and the mist. The officials finally opened the track after the fog cleared and Josh and I headed out to ride the circuit for the first time.




The riding was slippery and confusing as we tried to navigate the new track, made more difficult by the seasoned racers flying by us.  We started making our way around getting faster and more comfortable.  Apparently I didn’t execute all my wet weather techniques carefully enough as I crashed on the last corner and slid into the mud, cutting my practice time drastically.




Friday’s practice session was dry and it was nice to get a feel for the track, though the speeds went way up I was still far from the times needed for qualifying.  There were black clouds in the distance and the threat of rain hung heavy.




Saturday morning was also dry with the same dark clouds hovering.  We only had 20 minutes to qualify and I needed some fast times so, with my head down, I rode as hard as I could. At the 15 minute mark the red flag came out and the session was stopped due to crashed bike lying in the track.  Josh and I were ecstatic to find out that we had both made the qualifying times and were going to get to race the next day.


However, the AMA officials decided to cancel the remainder of the session and after some deliberation, disregarded the session entirely and decided that Sunday morning’s practice would instead be used as qualifying.


© 2008 John


I was slightly frustrated!  I worked my butt off running my fastest laps ever right off the bat. I qualified, Josh qualified, and then they tell us we have to do it all over again and that it didn’t really count?  It was unfair to us privateer riders that don’t have the budget to suddenly spring for another set of tires for a “new” qualifying session. But what could we do? “SHEBOYGAN!”


Instead of leaving for the day we decide to stay and watch our friend, Jason Farrell race and help his crew if they needed it.  Starting in 24th Jason got a great start and was in the mix of the race when coming up to turn 1 on the second lap, he was taken out when two other riders collided, and experienced a massive crash in that turn.  Bruised and battered with a sore ankle and shredded leathers, Jason attended to the two other injured riders until the medics arrived and then ran all the way from turn one back to the hot pits shouting at us to get his back up Kawasaki ZX6R ready.  It was the funniest thing I had ever seen, a rider with dirt everywhere, leathers flapping open running with a limp, screaming at us for his other bike.


After grabbing a new helmet and giving a quick check for any signs of a concussion, I wrapped his leathers in duct tape, handed him his transponder, which he stuffed inside his leathers, and off he went. Despite the hovering black clouds, the track was still dry and he was left no choice but to head to the back of the grid with the full rain tires that were currently mounted on his back up bike.


Myself, Josh, and his crew, Keith, Jaegar, and Rebecca did the rain dance while the race was re-started. It worked, and on lap 2 another red flag was flown, this time due to rain on the back straight.  The skies opened up.


Re-starting the now wet race, for the third time, Farrell got a great start from the back of the grid and by the second lap was already in 12th place.  We were wild with excitement on pit wall. Each lap he was able to pick off another rider and come the last lap, he was safely in 7th place.  Ecstatic, he crossed the line, thumbs up and waving at all of us.  Arriving at the hot pits after his cool down lap, Farrell did a celebration stoppie and rear slide while hootin’ and hollerin’.  It was an AWESOME way to end the otherwise crazy day.  “SHEBOYGAN!!! WOOHOOOO!”




On Sunday morning, we arrived back at the soggy and stormy Road America track and the morning’s practice-turned–qualifying-session took place in heavy pouring rain.  Both Josh and I came into the pits only to find out that neither of us had made the 110% cut off time.  In fact, nearly 15 riders didn’t make the required qualifying times.




“That sucks.” said a soggy Josh as we stood dejected under our dripping canopy.  As we started packing up our gear to leave for the day, we found out that the AMA was actually going to allow everyone to race.


It was so confusing and on-again-off again, that we just threw up our hands and said “whatever.” You qualified. Nope, just kidding you didn’t really. Try again tomorrow.  Oh, you didn’t qualify. Just kidding, you actually did, you can race today.


Our race took place at 2:00pm on a wet but rapidly drying track.  Josh started in 28th position and I in 31st.  After two laps, our race was red flagged because of a crash.  Typical.




Without crew to help us change tires, make suspension changes or add gas, we went back out on the now drying track on full rains with our wet race set-ups.  Josh got a good start and moved his way up through the pack to as high as 15th place. He persisted and was aiming for his first top 15 finish when his fuel light came on early and he had to try to conserve.  On the final lap the bike began sputtering and bogging and he barely made it up the final hill across start finish.  4 riders got by him right at the end and he finished 19th place.  “I was bummed out for sure, but what can you do.” said Josh “Next time we won’t make that same mistake, it kind of fit in with the theme of the weekend.”


I also got a decent start and even after a violent slide out of turn 5, was able to hang with a few riders and was only passed by two.  It was a fairly uneventful race but I finished 26th.  I was happy and it was a great way to end a crazy weekend, it was so much fun!


© 2008 John


There were so many other moments during that weekend that fill me up with warm fuzzies and that I can look back at now with such fond memories.  The times spent standing in the rain, in full leathers, drinking hot chocolate and laughing with new friends.  Seeing the little kids in colourful rain suits with rubber boots and smiles on their faces as they met the riders.  The time Jason was reprimanded by a track worker obsessed with his whistle for doing donuts in the rented golf cart and we were escorted back to the office.  The black swirly clouds, the rain, the cold, the puddles, the unloading and loading of the van and trailer, the tornado warnings and of course the riding.




We put up with it all, we endured the stress, the tiredness, the cost, the cold, for one simple reason, the love of the ride. we also put up with it all so we can look back on crazy weekends like this with the best memories in the world.



Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather